3.13.2008

Timeline

2000 - Sold home in Centerville and moved into a one-bedroom apartment in Bountiful
2001 - Bought new home in So. Weber
2003 - Sold home in So. Weber and moved into a two-bedroom duplex in Centerville; Woody moved to Portland
2004 - Moved to Boise and lived in a two-bedroom apartment
2006 - Moved into new home in Syracuse

8 years later, I'm still going through boxes that have either been in storage -- or moved in all this time! Why do we hang on to all our 'STUFF'? Is it because it has sentimental value to us?

Is it an article in a book or magazine that we found interesting and thought we would use later on? Is it that we thought we would use a bolt of polyester for something down the road? Is it puzzles that we've put together a half dozen times; games that were played and we didn't like; stitcherys that I did during a short institutionalization (J/K); home furnishings that are no longer in style; electronics, ie. wires, old cell phones and all their paraphenalia; electrical connections & cords; box of videos with no VHS player; extra buttons, paper clips, tape, screws, rubber bands, or enough office supplies to start my own STAPLES?! And all that CHRISTMAS STUFF! I'm having a tough time finding things I am looking for; while sorting through all this 'STUFF' (that we really don't need or won't use!) HELP!

I pride myself on being organized-having a spot for everything and knowing where it is; but lately, it just gets tossed aside. I keep promising myself that I will go through it all, throw out or donate whatever I don't want and once again have order to my life. I've spent most of today (cuz it's ugly outside)hangin' out in the basement with the spiders, sorting junk into different stacks. There's 'Matter Unorganized', 'The Same', 'More', 'Holy Crap', and 'Misc. Crap'.

How important is all this 'STUFF' in the scheme of things? It doesn't pay to start looking through it! If you haven't needed it or wondered where it was, just do yourself a favor and pack the box out to the truck for DI! No one will ever know, and you probably won't miss it. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have an awesomely huge basement just waiting to be finished off, then you will have plenty of places to hide all your stuff. Problem solved.

"Jo" in many sizes said...

Don't throw away any cool old fabric! I could buy a purse pattern and sew a few?

KickButtMommy said...

This move Miles and I finally got rid of stuff we had just been moving from house to house. It felt great!