10.06.2009

Heidi & Heather are 31'derful!!




A Poem About Twins
The heavens were excited, statistics were right.

"Gather round" the wisest of angels said, "Gods designed twins tonight."

It's quite a marvelous process as anybody knows...

Two separate souls beginning their lives, as his love just overflows.

Perhaps he'll make them just alike, or as different as can be.

But that's the way he wants it. He's planned it that way you see.

He must find a loving mom and a special dad...

For twins take special parents and the best just must be had.

So your joy is mighty special, I'm sure you know that's true.

God knew you'd be these parents and so, he's sent you two.


Top 10 Things I Love About Having Twins

These are some of the things that I love most about being a mom of twins.

1. Armfuls and Handfuls
Every child fills their parents' hearts and home with joy. That's what I really loved about having twins - the love and joy are compounded. Cradling twinfants in my arms was so incredibly, almost unbearably, sweet. Holding hands with two toddlers -- one on the right, and one on the left -- while crossing the street made me feel complete. Double hugs, double kisses... life just doesn't get any better than that!

2. Single-Mindedness
Parenting happens in stages. For people with a one-track mind, like me, it was much easier to manage two infants, two toddlers or two 'tweens, than to juggle the needs of a baby and a preschooler {altho, I had that as well!}.

3. Shared Accomplishments
It's always exciting to see your child meet a milestone. But when two accomplish their goals simultaneously, it's a wonderful experience for a family.

4. Private Jokes
It's such fun to hear them share jokes, call each other by nicknames and role-play their special scenarios. The always seem to have an 'inside joke' between them and they have a unique and sarcastic sense of humor that parrots off one another.

5. Alike, But Different
It's fascinating to be an observer of twins. With so many similarities, but such stark differences, it's interesting to see how they develop as individuals.

6. 2-For-1 Bonus
Short and sweet .... one pregnancy = two babies! Such a deal!

7. A Sense of Status
Okay, I admit it. I get a little thrill of pride in being a mom of twins. It's like being a part of an elite club. I love the reaction I got when I tell people I had twins. "Wow!" "I always wanted twins..." "I don't know how you did it..." It's almost like we enjoy an exclusive status in the parenting world, earning a slight nod of respect for pulling double duty.

8. Sharing
Twins share everything -- their birthday, their parents' attention, their identity, and many of their belongings. Although they may get frustrated with their situation, it's very gratifying to witness their "what's mine is yours" attitude in a moment of unselfish benevolence.

9. A Beautiful Bond
The twin bond is more enduring than any other relationship on earth, starting even before birth, and often outlasting many friendships and even marriages. Despite their squabbles, it's comforting to know that they will enjoy their unique relationship for all of their lives. As their mother, I feel really privileged to be a party to their special bond, and to have the opportunity share in it and nurture it.

10. Confidence in Companionship
I love the confidence that my daughters exhibit simply because they have always had each other to rely on. I love to watch them enter new, unfamiliar situations with total surety because they are together. I love seeing all the ways that being a twin shapes their personalities, both as an advantage and a disadvantage. They have never known loneliness because they've always had each other as a companion.

Happy Birthday to Heidi and Heather - You bring me such JOY!


7 comments:

whitey said...

It's double the giggles and double the grins, and double the trouble if you're blessed with twins. ~Author Unknown


Happy Double Birthday Heather & Heidi!

Cara said...

Happy birthday to my twinner cousins. I always wondered what it would be like to have another "me" in the world...weird!

Vickers said...

If you had to double anyone in the world you doubled the right one. Congratulations Sue for your beautiful, wonderful, and delightful little girls. Happy Birthday to Heidi and to Heather.

KickButtMommy said...

Beautiful! Happy Birthday Heather and Heidi!

Heidi Banford Art said...

Thanks mom for such nice things be said. I love being a twin although I don't know any different. I too was apart of an elite club.
I don't remember the last fight me and my sis got into cuz it was so very long ago (6th grade i think). We always joke that we'll be old ladies outliving our husbands but living together. We even look forward to it sometimes.
If you get to read this Heather, I love you. Can't wait to grow old together. Happy Birthday!

FRYBABY said...

Happy birthday to you two, too!! With such a big extended family we are constantly giving birthday wishes! How wonderful is that?

Nettie said...

Happy Birthday to two beautiful young ladies!