10.15.2009

Farewell...

{Military honors offered at Tom's graveside was so touching as the flag was lifted off his casket and solemnly folded with taps played in the distance. I received this note from my niece and I think her sweet expression of sympathy is so heartfelt, I just wanted to share it, as we all feel the same about Tom.}

Dear Sue,
I was down helping Quinn and Devry transition into their new home when Mom called me with the news of Uncle Tom's passing. I have felt so left out until I returned home and could sit down and read all the blogs. Everyone loved Tom so much and he touched all of our lives no matter where we lived. He is truly a man larger than life. Whenever I looked at him I saw my own dad and loved Tom even more for it. Uncle Tom represented my dad like Aunt Vena represented my mom and I loved both of them so much for that extra emotional support that they unconsciously delivered. It is a sacred spot where Uncle Tom's mortal remains now reside.

Give Leanne my love. My love goes out to you also as you are so much younger than your family and therefore have the extra emotional burden of watching them pass away. Hold firm Sue, all the rest of our family needs what you symbolize.
Love you,
Vicky

3 comments:

Vickers said...

I meant every word and so much more that I could not even express. I know that as each one of us in the family reach the critical moment that Uncle Tom just endured our whole family will be there for us, either on one side of the veil or the other. We are and will forever more be FAMILY. Love each of you.

KickButtMommy said...

That is a beautiful photo and beautiful words from Vicky!

Nettie said...

It was a beautiful day. I am so glad the sun was shining and it wasn't raining. The wind was blowing a little. The bagpipe music was wonderful. I loved all the songs played, but "Amazing Grace" got me along with "Taps". Sue you have such a beautiful way with words and Vicky,...both of you have touched my heart today. Love you both!