8.10.2008

Carrots, Eggs and Coffee

A young woman went to her Mother and told her about her life, and how things were so hard. She didn't know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, another arose.

Her Mother took her to the kitchen. She filled 3 pots with water and placed each on the stove. Soon the pots came to a boil. In the first, she placed carrots; in the second, she placed eggs; and in the third, she placed ground coffee beans. She let them boil - without saying a word.

In about 20 minutes, she turned of the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them on a dish. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a cup. Turning to her daughter, she said - 'Tell me what you see'.

The daughter looked in exasperation and replied - 'Carrots, eggs, and coffee'.

Her Mother brought her closer and asked her to eat a carrot and describe it to her. They were soft. The Mother then asked her to take and egg and break it open. After pulling off the shell, she noted that it was hard boiled. Finally, the Mother ask that she sip some coffee. She did so, and smiled as she tasted the rich, deep aromatic beverage. 'What does it mean, Mother?'

Her Mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrots went in strong, hard and unrelenting - however, they softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile - its thin outer shell had protected the interior, but it became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique - as they changed the water!

Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain, do I become soft and lose my strength? Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart - Does my shell look the same, but I am bitter and tough with a hardened heart and spirit? Am I the coffee bean, that actually changes the hot water by releasing a fragrance and flavor?

When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond?

If you can't tell, I'm still in somewhat of a SCHLUMP! I've heard it said many times that you can't move forward in life until you let go of past failures and heartaches. Evaluating one's life and moving off 'dead center' is always a challenge - am I up to that challenge? I'm still trying to decide whether I'm the limp carrot, or the coffee bean.

1 comment:

KickButtMommy said...

Good luck figuring it out, Sue! I say we just choose which one we WANT to be and do it!