2.29.2008

Birthday Tribute to Mother

I wanted to end the month of February with a tribute to my Mother, whose birthday was February 13th. Vicky reminded me of it, and I feel bad that I didn't think of it; I should preface this with the fact that I didn't know my Mother. She died when I was 21/2 years old.

Clydene and Janette worked very hard to put a scrapbook together for me 6 years ago on my birthday that was mean't to give me some insight into who she was through others words. Aunt(s) Dott and Joye both spoke of her amazing musical abilities, her sewing skills, and the wonderful fruit preserves and candy that she made. Elma, Tom, Nadine, and DiAnne remembered how diligent she was at doing the best with what she had and welcoming anyone into her home. They spoke of her patience, her beauty, and her unending love.

I believe her talents and beauty have trickled down through the generations that she has left behind. But I sometimes wonder and feel that she also has had a hand in sending the angels we have received.


From Gods Arms . . .
Sue Shifflett

I look at you and see someone familiar
It’s as though I’m seeing myself.
Not myself as I know myself,
But in pictures that I’ve seen.

I wonder if my dear, sweet Mother
Had anything to do with you coming at this time?
I feel a strange connection to you
As if an embodiment of her and I have been combined.

So when I look into your eyes,
And see you pull your funny face.
I think that there must be a tie
To another time – another place.

When God hands off his angels fair
To someone who might be with Him there.
That someone is a loved one passed
Who then enfolds them to their breast.
And gently passes them to this World
From Gods arms, to her arms, and then to yours.

And then the Circle of Love is complete
As Grandmother, sends you your angel, sweet.
With love, and a wish that we all might see
The connection, the familiarity.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes the circle complete, what a beautiful poem. Whitey

Anonymous said...

Grandma's photo and then your poem have touched me deeply. I have many memories of her because I am the oldest grandchild and because, at the end, she lived with us. I told my dad once that I can never smell toast without remembering her kitchen and her crazy old tent toaster that you had to watch and then changes sides so the other side of the bread would toast. She made me a beautiful coat and dress and I can still picture her in her slip as she rested on our sofa only to jump up and run to the bedroom when the front door bell rang. I loved her. Thank you, for this posting.