1.03.2008

NEW YEAR 2008

Today is Daddy’s birthday --- he was born Jan. 3, 1900. It was always so easy to remember how old he would be for the year! He was 49 when I was born. . .and 65 when he died. It’s difficult to remember any one thing about him . . . he’s been gone from my life longer than he was in it.

New Year’s has always been a time for reflection, contemplation, and resolution. What were you doing New Year’s Eve? Were you curled up by a cozy fire, celebrating the beginning of a new year with someone you love? Were you remembering times gone by, with the hope for a better tomorrow? Were you reminiscent of a more carefree day when the wind in your hair, or a skinned knee was your only concern? For me, the end of a year and the beginning of a new one is no different - marked by sorrow, sadness and regret.

Sorrow in my heart for those who have passed through our lives and are now gone - Left without a goodbye, a promise of tomorrow, or a feeling of warmth. Sadness in my heart as I realize unfulfillment in my life. Regret, which is the biggest disappointment – when I realize what I am capable of, what is expected of me, and the realization that I haven’t been diligent in seeking those areas that would allow growth.

I’m sorry for the blonde, blue-eyed child who has no recollection of a childhood. I’m sorry for the frustration and confusion of adolescence. I’m sorry I was a follower, instead of a leader; or at best, an Individual! I never explored who I really was or who I wanted to be. I’m sorry for relationships that I either didn’t encourage or nurture. I’m sorry I didn’t take time to have fun and explore new horizons. I regret thoughtless words and deeds.

So, with this said, I am declaring 2008 “The Year of Sue” (remember the Seinfeld episode where George resolves to do everything different?)! I want to become more healthy, happy, and independent! I want to let go of old hurts and salve the wounds with love and forgiveness. I want to forget the past, and make each day of my present account for something.

I love all my family and am thankful that they have been there to fill in the gaps!

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

beautiful resolution Sue! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Sioux said...

Hey Heather -- thanks for the New Year's wishes. No surprise that there is a whirl of activity around you and your family. Hope you are enjoying your stay in Utah.

Anonymous said...

I still think that you should pursue a writing career. You are so poignant with your insights and so accurate with your general observations. You could be another Erma Bombeck.
Loved the portrait of Grandpa. Your son, Mike, is a great artist and that portrait is as accurate as a photo. I was thinking of Grandpa on the third, also. Today is my other grandpa's b-day. Great men from another century and I know they would be proud of all of us in their families.

Love you and yours.

Sioux said...

Grandpa Gus was on the 5th -- I didn't know that. He was a sweet old Swede, wasn't he?

Anonymous said...

A Year holds ...
:: 365 bright new mornings

:: 52 weeks of promise

:: 12 months to transform
into ANYTHING I want to be ...
and
:: 4 splendid seasons ...

FULL OF BEAUTIFUL POSSIBILITIES!