1.11.2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!

Isn't this little guy cute - and can you tell who he is? Tom is my brother and the 3rd oldest of my siblings. He was one child that tested the water (quite literally when he drove a car off the road into the Weber River!), my parent's patience and Grandpa Fry's good nature (I believe he was in Grandpa's jail the night my Mother went into labor with me!). The gleam in his eye, and the smile on his face always lets you know you're in for a good story of mischief and mayhem! When I asked Leanne for some verification of my facts she more than willingly gave up a few good stories on her Dad: "Dad was the Supervisor over Avionics Training Device Simulators for F-16 and C-130's.
1) He got mad at some of the guys because they kept going into the restrooms with the newspapers and they would fall asleep on the toilets, so Dad had Civil Engineering come and take off the stall doors so they couldn't sleep in there any more and it made quite a few people mad, especially his boss and the Union. 2) He also received a Pigeon Poop Kit from another boss and good friend in Minot, S.D., which was a pan and and broom in a bo
x. Dad filled it up with pigeon poop and sent it back to him through the base mail. It was quite the joke on the base for many years. 3) About the car in the river -- which time? I know of at least 2 times. He still has the newspaper article at home with the roof of the car sticking out of the icy river. Of course he was feeling no pain at the time of the incident. Eventually, he grew out of his 'wild ways' as far as actions, but his sense of humor and mischievous thinking lives on. It's funny to know that one of my good friends from junior high actually worked with Tom, and never realized he was my brother - but she says 'everyone that knew Tom liked him'. Not hard to believe!

He and Margie were married in 1949 and they have one lovely daughter, Leanne who is married to Garth; and two grandkids, Jorgan and Chad. Thanks to them for so lovingly taking care of their parents.

2 comments:

GrandmaNutt said...

Tom and Margie are infamous on our side of the family for introducing us to the card game 'Oh Hell'. Rolicking good times when Tom is around. Happy Birthday, Uncle Tom.

Anonymous said...

I finally got to read your blog - TREMENDOUS! I used to write like this. Happy B-day to that cute Tommy.

Aunt Joye