5.10.2009

M.D. Recap

My Mother's Day began with going up to hear DiAnne and Glen speak in their Sacrament Mtg. - I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to make a Mother speak on her holiday, and from the whisperings in the crowd sitting around me, alot {and I mean many!} Mother's dislike this day more than any other. They feel they are being summed up and compared to all the great ladies in History...they feel inadequate, overworked and underappreciated; but mostly sad. They are sad because of the way they feel, or because of guilt over the feelings they carry for not showing love and appreciation enough for their own Mother's. I swear to you this is not made up!

Luckily, DiAnne and Glen, along with a young woman in their ward, spoke about the memories they do have of the wonderful women in their lives. DiAnne presented a picture of Mother, and then told of the many attributes that she had - her talent for playing the piano by ear; her beautiful singing voice; her ability to create/mend/rebuild any piece of clothing she had at hand; her selflessness; her patience; the unbearable sorrow she went through when her oldest son was shot down during WWII, and not knowing whether he was dead or alive; the years she suffered in pain with cancer before she died; and the unwavering LOVE she had for her family. She spoke about how when Mother died, DiAnne was only 13 years old - a very tumultous and unsettling time for a teenager. She was to take over the chores Mother had done and help care for the little sister {me}. I can't imagine how hard it must have been. She did a beautiful job of describing this time, and then thanked all Mother's who have been an influence in her life. Then Glen got up and talked on the importance of women and spoke of the Mother's in his life that taught and guided him - from his Great grandmother to his own Mother and then DiAnne, the Mother of his children. I was really glad that I attended today, and would like them both to know what a GREAT job they did, and how much I appreciate their love and examples.

I got back home in time to gather up all my fixin's for the POTLUCK at the PARK, with my family. We met at the local city park, ate, visited, opened gifts, and played alot! The little kids never seem to want to take the time to eat - so I'm sure that by the time they were tucked away in their car seats to go home, they were tired and hungry. I've posted some pix of them and their various activites - Thanks to all of them for making me a very proud Mom. I love them, and am assured that even through trials that they see, they will always know they are loved and appreciated for WHO they are.

2 comments:

Vickers said...

What a treasured moment to hear DiAnne talk about your mom in such an intimate manner. You both have great heritage and I am grateful to have a part of that same heritage. Love you.

whitey said...

Wish now I would have gone with you, it is all ways nice to learn more about a person you never got to meet and yet know that you have a connection with.