5.03.2009

Giver of Wisdom


A few years ago, there was a beautiful white owl that hung out below Bluff Road and looked like a GHOST as it flew through the sky. I was never lucky enough to have my camera with me when I noticed him. But imagine my surprise when I came home after a lovely afternoon of Communing with nature; you'll feel reborn {horoscope for me on Friday} and found this owl perched on our back porch for a few hours on Friday. Heidi was able to snap some shots of it, just before it took flight around sunset. We didn't dare open the door or make too much noise, or use the flash. And we had to take the pictures through the blinds. I believe she got a few good ones though. It was about 13 inches tall or so. So cool. Because she is superstitious and super-sensitive to the metaphysical, she looked up the symbolic meaning of an owl and got these:

The Owl is the bringer of wisdom. The all-seeing owl possesses supernatural qualities and is often associated with intuition, clairvoyance and clairaudience.

The Owl’s energy is at its peak in the very heart of darkness, when we are plunged into blindness and disorientation. He penetrates the darkness of the blackest night, seeing and hearing that which others cannot.


A magical creature of the forest enigmatic and powerful.
If the owl is calling you, you are aware of the owl being present in your life, dreaming or waking. You are being called upon to open your eyes, ears and mind to the truth of a situation. To listen to the wisdom deep in your heart and soul. That still small voice is trying to reach you in some way - To assist you or help you in a current challenge you may be facing.

Tap into the power of the Owl by calling on your own intuition, listen to your own wisdom for there is something you need to see or hear. As the owl is so strongly associated with the night time, his wisdom may come to you while you slumber. So take the time to be aware of your dreams or make a special effort to remember and write down any important dreams you have.

The Owl is a messenger that can bring clarity and illumination.


(Don't let this one freak you out SUE {sioux}!)

Among the Northwestern Native American people, the belief is that the owl speaks out the names of individuals that will soon die. To the Sioux, a giant owl called Hin-Han protects the entrance to the Milky Way. The souls of the dead need to pass through it to encounter the spirit land. If an individual does not pass the inspection of Hin-Han, due to lack of the right tattoo, he or she will be thrown into a bottomless pit. The Southwestern Pima Indians viewed the owl as a symbol of the souls of the dead. A feather was given to dying individuals to help them into the next world.

The owl has not returned; I'm still trying to decipher what the meaning of it is? According to Heidi's explanation, am I supposed to be gaining more wisdom? Or am I to ready myself to meet the great Hin-Han that is to greet me at the entrance of the Milky Way. And do I need to get a tattoo? I've told my kids you can't get into Heaven with a tattoo! Whatever....I guess it indicates that I need to become wiser in some manner. I will research that and return and report. Luckily, this owl didn't leave one single feather or POOP. And he actually sat there for a few hours! Most remarks I received were that it was 'good Karma' and so cool. So I guess Vicky's and my question is: WHOO? WHOO? WHOO? is he here to inspire?

4 comments:

Vickers said...

It does seem odd that of all the houses in the neighborhood the owl chose yours to perch at. Can't blame Heidi for seeking answers about that. If he comes back....you're on your own.

Anonymous said...

These are great shots of your owl. It almost looks like his eyes are blinking. - DiAnne

Anonymous said...

My brother-in-law that is an Ornothologist (if that is how you spell it) thought your owl pic's were pretty neat, read what he said about it.

Gino just opened the picture of the email I forward to him picturing the owl on the deck. He said it was a Long-eared Owl, and they are rare and just fly through UT from the Arctic during migration to the tropics. He said it was a birding life-list sighting! You should let your Mother-in-law know.

Alysa

Anonymous said...

Okay..so maybe it is time to start reading something else into it like Heidi does. Why did this rareity happen on your deck of all the decks, or trees, or roofs in the area? And why did the owl sit there for so long and never leave his "calling card"? Hmmmm? Lucky you Sue.

Vicky