4.21.2009

This Old Bird is 60!

I was lucky enough to celebrate my {dare I say it?} 60th birthday with all my family. DiAnne & Glen {ever so cleverly} planned a "Surprise!" party for me. Wayne, El, and Doug; Nadine, Clydene with her daughter Kacy & Hadley, Janette, her daughter Ashley & Joey, Leanne & Garth, Teri & Tom, Jeff, Karen, Shaylee & Nick, Ryan & Kristen, Paige and her two little gals, Sara & Robyn, and all my own gang with their little hoodlums! It was quite a houseful! As always, there was a spread of delicious goodies to eat, and balloons galore, and banners reminding me that I am indeed over the hill. Funny, I don't remember getting to the top of that hill, altho the climb sometimes has been grueling!

I reminded DiAnne that she had thrown a 'Surprise' party for me when I turned 30; now this one 30 years later -- then I warned her that she better not think about one for the next 30! My sweet SIL was standing behind me, and gave me a squeeze asking, 'What's wrong with 90?' She is turning 90 in June - but you'd never know it! She is still the cute strawberry-blonde darling that married my oldest brother in 1943! If I could age like she has, maybe I wouldn't mind sticking around that long.

I thought I would try to compile a list of things that I've learned in 60 years --

1. "NO" is a complete sentence!
2. Knowledge is Power -- but Ignorance is Bliss!
3. The past is to learn from – not live in
4. My way is not the way -- it's just my way.
5. 'I dwell in possibilities'....
6. Gripe to the one you have a gripe with!
7. We are the choices we have made
8. The older we get, the more like ourselves we become.
9. One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.
10. My lederhosen just don’t fit me all that well anymore!

-- but what I know the most and best is that of all the things in the World, family is the most important!

Thanks to everyone one of you that I am privileged enough to have in my life.

You know you're old when the candles for the cake cost more than the cake!


6 comments:

whitey said...

Poor Tweety he looks older than you. Onward and upward to the next thirty!

Vickers said...

Thanks for mentioning my cute mom and her upcoming 90th b-day. She has always been a perky gal.

Glad that you had a great blowout party. You deserve all the attention you can get and we all love you very much. Loved your ten items of age-acquired wisdom. I totally dwell in possibilities...it is called "delusional"!

KickButtMommy said...

So much fun! I am glad you were properly lauded!

Nettie said...

"Whatever In The Past Has Gone, The Best Is Always Yet To Come"

Anonymous said...

What a good looking bunch to celebrate your BIG DAY - You deserve it all. Hang in there!

DiAnne

Debbie said...

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT SURPRISE B-DAY PARTY !!! YOUR NOT GETTING OLDER YOUR GETTING BETTER ! WHOEVER SAID IT IS THE "GOLDEN YEARS" OUGHT TO BE SHOT ! STILL HOPING WE CAN GET TOGETHER FOR LUNCH, TRIED TO CALL YOU A COUPLE OF TIMES LAST WEEK TO SEE IF YOU WANTED TO COME OUT AND SPEND A DAY WITH ME OUT HERE, MAYBE NEXT WEEK ?