4.03.2009

OK - I just read an article in the Standard about an event that is to take place at the Davis Convention Center here in Layton. I have included the article and the website referred to in the article and would like your feedback. When you bring up the vid, I caution you to look at a couple of the other vids as well, but make sure they are about the actual pole dancing, and not some other trashy exoctic dancing that anyone can bring up on the internet! The gal explains why they wear what they do {or do not!}, and tells a little about the workout.

http://www.standard.net/live/news/168306
http://www.misspoledanceutah.com/

Personally, I find nothing offensive about this event. It may be a bit suggestive, but no more than some of the beauty pageants, fashion shows , etc. or any other thing that is presented on TV/movies/music videos. If any of you have tried to pull yourself up from the floor in the last while, let alone hang upside down holding onto a pole only by your ankles or knees - you definitely have to appreciate that this is a true fitness demo. I sometimes can't even hold onto the railing to get up the stairs!!

Tell me if I'm too open-minded for my own good......

These are a few of the remarks that I received back from an unbiased {did I just admit that?} select group who shall remain anonymous. One gal admits that a couple of her daughters and even her 11 year-old grandson participate in this extraneous form of fitness. Another states that it is just too suggestive. What views do you have?

- This is funny, my girls, and a lot of their friends have taken or are taking this class in Ogden . It is not stripping, but a heck-of-a-workout. They had to show me before I would believe it! One even put a ‘pole’ up in their basement and the girls go over there and practice. My 11 year old grandson has been practicing with his mom and can do some of the ‘moves’ that she can’t do yet… they do end up with bruises on their legs & arms from it but as long as they are active, what the heck? Beats the treadmill at the gym, I guess.

- I have actually seen alot of shows on this lately. There are moms purchasing poles for there homes, cause it is such a hard workout. I personally would not want a stripper pole in my room. What kind of image would you be giving your children if they saw that? Just not right in my opinion. They offer these classes all over now and people swear you will never felt better after the workout. It's crazy to have this competition!!

- I totally agree with you and think it would be fun to see it. I do agree it's good that they have rules to keep it above board, but pole dancing is getting very popular and I'm sure it isn't easy. This is perfect fodder for people who like to stand out as being offended - as it gives them the public exposure they crave so other self-righteous, narrow-minded people can admire them for taking a stand. Afterall, everyone KNOWS these pious phonies have no problems in their families (yea, right). Too bad there isn't a Stepfordville that they could all move to.

- Well, they say kids age 12 and up are invited. It says no G strings, top should cover entire boobs and bottom covers entire butt. Sounds okay to me. Thanks for keeping me ABREAST of the latest.

- Whatever! Obviously the choreography won't be that great. Boring. At least these women know that in this economy they'll have something to fall back on as a night job. At $20 for admission, I can get that on my HBO at home with my package. I'll stick to yoga!

I guess what I'm saying here, is that this is a COMPETITION! And for those who don't want to attend or would be offended by it, I say "Stay Away". I won't be there, but then I wouldn't attend a weight lifting competition, or a WWF, or a Victoria Secret fashion show either!


1 comment:

whitey said...

Thank you for not printing what I had to say about it all.