12.21.2007

I've been in the BahHumbug-ish mood this year for Christmas. For those of you who received the 'letter', I'm sure you knew I was writing it 'tongue in cheek' . I thought I might try to whip out something via email (that hasn't happened!); the only decoration I have up is the tree that my two oldest grand-daughters, Kloyie & Skyla helped me with; and as far as cooking and baking -- FORGET ABOUT IT!

“When our children/grandchildren are sick -- When their little body aches and a fever rages and their head hurts, and they can’t explain what is wrong, they don’t want new toys or new clothes or a nicer house to live in. They only want to be held by someone who loves them. Ralph W. Emerson, an American philosopher reminds us that rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only real gift is the gift of yourself.

When I am hurting emotionally, I don't want a nicer car to drive or a new wardrobe. I too want to be held by someone who loves me. At Christmastime the best gifts I receive are tokens of love from those I care about and who care about me. So often the gift of time, of presence, is the best of all. It takes a clear vision of what matters to give our children presence, not just presents. We never outgrow the need for love expressed by presence.

No matter how old we are, the gift of time and attention is just as sweet as it was when we were children. Grown children need it from parents; parents need it from grown children. It is a never-ending cycle. We all need support and help from each other. We have the capacity to love and lift each one around us with our presence.

As the sacred music of the Christmas season surrounds us and the message of Christ's birth is uppermost in our minds, may we think upon the wondrous gift of God's presence. May we be willing to receive it, to open our hearts to it and really feel it. Jesus came to us so we could know the Peace of Heaven on Earth.”

Merry Christmas to all our family and friends. May your New Year be filled with Peace, Hope, and Love and a renewed awareness of your Presence in our lives.

8 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Thanks Sioux. I am feeling a little homesick for some presence right now!

Sioux said...

I spoke with El today, and told her to let me know when you guys are in town and were getting together, so that I can see you. It's hard to be away from 'family' during holidays--even when you have your own little family. You'll have a noisy and beautiful Christmas. The Secret is The Children.

Anonymous said...

Sioux, hate to sound superficial about such a tender posting but you really need to get serious about publishing. You can be so crazy good and then you can be so crazy special. I loved your Christmas newsletter. Keep up the great work.

Sioux said...

You may be a bit prejudiced! But I love the adoration!

KickButtMommy said...

Nope she is write. You need to get an article in a magazine or article! And we would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see you! Looks like we arrive Sat 29th and have fun with my fam Sunday for church and dinner, but hope to get out to Bountiful ASAP!

Anonymous said...

This is kickbuttmommy's sister, Kathy. I just came your blog through hers and had to say thanks for sharing that beautiful message! It really touched me and was the perfect thing for me to hear right now. Merry Christmas!

Sioux said...

Thank you so much for the comments - I love the spirit of Christmas, but it seems to get harder each year to keep our focus on the importance of friends, family, and our relationship with God. I do love hearing from you all.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say Thank You for giving just that to us for Christmas... your presence. That is exactly what we needed this year, and Santa delivered! What a wonderful guy ( gal!)We sure enjoyed every minute with you.You are so right Presence is alway the most important gift to be given. Thanks again. Sending all of our Love, Shari