10.12.2008

Appreciation

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
by Erma Bombeck
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead
of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern
if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a
rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if
the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living
room and worried much less about the dirt when
someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather
ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled
up on a summer day because my hair had just been
teased and sprayed.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching
television and more while watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it
was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed
to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy,
I'd have cherished every moment and realized that
the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance
in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never
have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's." More "I'm
sorry's." But mostly, given another shot at life, I would
seize every minute...look at it and really see it live it
and never give it back. Stop sweating the small stuff.
Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more,
or who's doing what.
Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with
those who do love us.
Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with. And
what we are doing each
day to promote ourselves
mentally, physically, emotionally.

I hope you all have a blessed day.

4 comments:

whitey said...

I HAVE LOTS OF WOULD HAVES, SHOULD HAVES,COULD HAVES AND IF ONLY.

Nettie said...

I have seen sayings, books and stories about Erma Bombeck in the past and have enjoyed reading them a lot, especially this one. It says so much, and is so meaningful. Thank you Sioux for posting this poem. It is a great reminder, for myself in my personal life and in my position at the VA when helping families after the death of a loved one, especially the mother's of very young families.

Anonymous said...

Serge has been buying me her books for years. Guess he is trying to tell me something....like loosen up!

Debbie said...

Wow did that hit home. Guess I better change my ways. As I have gotten older I've tried to loosen up and enjoy things more, so what if some of the chores aren't done, weeds aren't pulled and the house isn't perfect. I want to be able to spend more time with family and friends and doing things with the grandkids. Life goes by so much quicker now it seems and I need to get myself out of the rut and enjoying life !