11.12.2007

Nieces, Nieces


When I was in 3rd grade, I had an assignment from Mrs. Jost to write a poem. What I came up was a diatribe about nieces -- specifically Denice, Leanne (Tom's daughter), and Clydene (Whitey). Mary would occasionally tend these 3 little scamps and they inevitably would rummage through my bedroom and belongings. When I came home from school to find the mess (which I was usually encouraged to clean up if I didn't want them playing with it) I would mumble and groan!

Nieces – Nieces

Some forty years ago, when I was all of ten,
An assignment was given to me to write a poem.
I remember thinking to myself; I know nothing about prose –
But I made a wild stab at it, and this is how it goes.

Nieces, Nieces; I hate them to pieces!
They get into my room, and scatter all my stuff –
They ruin what is mine – and I become so gruff!
I yell at them and I stomp about
My Mom just tries to calm me.
She reminds me that they’re little and will be going home soon.
HOORAY! I say – Make them clean up my room!

Now I say . . . Nieces, Nieces; I LOVE them to pieces!
They’ve become my best friends.
We’ve complained to each other, we gossip, we share.
Without them, I never would’ve had the experience of growing up
With opportunities to baby-sit, catfight, and most of all ---
APPRECIATE!

When I moved in with Nadine's family, Janette & Cheryl became my friends, as well as my nieces. We shared secrets about boys, hi-jinx and mayhem! We ate, worked and slept together and all 5 of us girls shared ONE BATHROOM! It involved intense planning and shifts as to when a bath/shower was taken and who shared the mirror at the same time! But I look back on this experience and am so thankful for the opportunity to grow up and grow old with these girls.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, to my Wonderful Nieces.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

That's a great poem and so true. I could say the same about my three sisters! I had to put a lock on my door so they would stop taking my stuff!

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHHH how sweet!!
From your favorite niece, Whitey
(we really were not that bad were we?)

Sioux said...

You ever tried to "herd cats"? That's what is was like to keep track of you three! I still love you guys, tho.

Anonymous said...

To my cousins whom I saw only once every few years....Happy Birthday, y'all. I'm still older than all of you.
Oops! I guess that doesn't say much about me. Well, Happy Birthday anyway.

Kare Bear said...

So cute I love your page. I need to figure out how to get music on my blog. send me the pictures of the girls with there bare feet if you get a chance. I would love to see them.