11.21.2007

I'M FIVE! I'M FIVE YEARS OLD TODAY!

Taylor is Heather's little girl and the 4th grandchild on both sides of the family!
It’s 8:45am – the telephone rings
‘Gwamma, can you come over today?’
‘Taylor – I have some things I need to do;
What does your Momma say?’

‘Mom – can Gwamma come over today?’
‘I don’t care – what does she say?’
‘Gwamma, Mom says you can come to play –
Do you want to Gwamma? Will you come today?’

And so this is how each day begins
With a personal invitation from my 5 year-old friend!
Eyes that are more green than blue now
Pouty lips that are just so kissable!
Long, beautiful hair – always dressed in something pink

Wanting to know what my favorite color is, what I’ve had to eat,
Asking what movie we want to watch, what I’d like to do and what I think;
Who is this ‘Geez Louise’? she asks;
and why do I say ‘P.U.’ey when something stinks!

So many accomplishments and changes this past year –
A new baby brother - Weston, he’s one,
A new beagle puppy that’s a pain in the bum!
A new routine of preschool 3 days a week
A trip to the library – new books to seek.
Playing with Sydni, Laila, and J.J.
These are activities that fill up her days.

Today it is your birthday - A day that’s all your own,
So I’m going to give you a gift that’s special
Its value is unknown . . .
It's my pledge of love and trust
That as you grow you'll know
How many times a day we think of you
And how much we love you so.

Happy 5th Birthday, Taylor
I love you from Heaven and Back!
Grandma Shifflett

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Sue, that is just the sweetest poem. What a lucky little grandaughter!

Anonymous said...

Sioux, that poem brought a lump to my throat even. You can touch anyone's heartstrings.
Happy Birthday, Sweet Taylor. Give Weston a hug for us.
From all of your cousins on the East Coast.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing poet. You have a real gift. No person can write such heartwarming thoughts unless they have an exceptional heart and a great perception of life and matters of the soul.

Owen & Fazie