9.16.2007

Chapter 2 - Rescue

When last I left you, we had gathered back at the parking lot of the Lodge. I'm thinking we've put in a good training session -- but NOOOO! We're just getting a 2nd wind! OH GOODY - we get to do it again! We go through the same instructions and are sent off with a scent article to tie on a branch along the way. Then up, over, up some more and hunker down for the wait. This time, I make sure I'm up and out of the prescribed area far enough to be acceptable. I plop myself down and radio in. Waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting. I'm wondering if anyone heard me. I lay down and look straight up in the sky above me. Beautiful!

Finally, a nice man's voice comes across and asks if I'm OK. Sure; just fine! As I sit there, I realize that I'm sitting in an ant bed! Not to worry; just little black ants that I feel crawling up my legs, under my shirt, on my arms and neck; they don't bite. Could be worse - could be poison oak or a rattle snake. Should I jump up to another spot and compromise whether the dog is close by? The trooper that I am, I just sit & swipe!


Many minutes go by. Finally, I hear the crackling of branches as the man & his dog approach me. It's Shasta, the bloodhound to the rescue, and she gives me wet kisses to say she's there and should now be rewarded! What? A kiss is not enough? No! They want treats and toys as well!


The day seems to be a SUCCESS. I was rescued twice, and am asked if I'd like to go one more time? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You may actually have a 'VICTIM' in the true form if I go out a 3rd time.

I get home and survey the injuries: 4 new bruises; a skinned knee; a twisted ankle
; scrapes and abrasions down my arm; and thorns in my hand - but not the least bit stiff! Maybe this old lady is in better shape than I thought! Not bad for a novice victim; and my grandkids will be so excited to see and hear about what an adventurer I am!

Did I enjoy the day? What sane person would not love being out in the beautiful fall foliage, smelling the sage and oak, conversing with the animals, and being with/meeting good friends? Will I go again? I understand the next traning session is up North and includes a Dutch Oven dinner - I'm a sucker for food (HA! HA!) Will my injuries be healed and my pride be mended? Most definitely! Just not gonna take anything but snack mix, water, and smaller note pad in a fanny pack. It makes for a much harder hike if your arms of full of peripherals that really aren't needed.

Hurry up into the Hills, and take advantage of the view before it's gone!

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Quite the day SIoux! And look at you ready to go again! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Incredible, Sioux. Hats off to you. I would prefer a nice comfy ride through the Amish countryside and the Shenandoah Valley,but hey, you're out in the wild west so have at it. It certainly makes for a much more interesting story. Especially from a master story teller like you. Thanks for the adventure. And glad you are home safe and 'sound?'!

Anonymous said...

I can tell I'm playing for a hard audience.