5.06.2007

Happy Mother's Day

For about 13 years, I have been cautiously dabbling in poetry writing --- nothing fancy, you understand. It has been a way to "vent", to express my feelings, to indulge my daydreams, to share secrets --- it has become my Best Friend! They are mostly of a personal nature; sorrow/happiness, pain/healing, disappointment/renewed faith. They are writings that you will probably never see published, but are etched in my heart forever. Four years ago I wrote a poem for my girls and Woody's Mother, which I gave them on Mother's Day and would like to share.

Mother's Day -2003


What more tribute for a Mother could there be?
Than for her children to be healthy, wise, forgiving and happy.

What more satisfaction could a Mother find?
Than a child who demonstrates appreciation and is always kind.

What more love could a Mother feel?
Than the chubby little arms wrapped snugly about her neck;

Than the sad little eyes pleading for more attention;
Than the endless questions that always start with "Why?";
Than the sweet smelling bouquet picked especially for her (from the neighbor's garden)'
Than the pleading for just one more scoop of cookie dough;
Than the bedtime story, a sweet child's prayer, and a warm tuck between the covers.

What greater happiness comes into a Mother's heart?
Than to see her children teach their children to be appreciative, forgiving, loving,
joyful, humble, prayerful, thankful . . .

What more to life is there . . .
Than to be a Mother.

I'm thinking of my single friends, who may not have children, my friends that may not be around their families, and my friends who are no longer with us, but have the families who think of them daily. Mother's Day is such an "overkill" holiday, when you think of it from the retail point of view. What's important is the love and appreci
ation of your families and the feeling that you are giving them the one thing in their lives that they need the most to be successful individuals!

(My Kids and their Kids . . . . I love them all to pieces!)


Thanks for becoming a piece of my heart. I love you all. . . .

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Happy Mother's Day Aunt Sioux! And what a beautiful poem. Love, Heather and Miles.

Anonymous said...

Sioux, you are so talented and sensitive. And you have such beautiful children. Your first-born girl (name withheld to protect the innocent!!) looks just like you did way back when we were all getting married. Remember those years? She is your clone...at least in that picture. H2 probably is too, if she removed her glasses and lightened her hair. ALL are beauties...even the guys.