8.08.2007

40th Class Reunion - THEN & NOW!

I'm the one with the short hair and love handles!
Well, it's over; and it was 'Mahvelous!' I had so much fun reconnecting with classmates, and renewing friendships. Some people I hadn't seen since the day we graduated, and plans were discussed to try to get together in small groups to further indulge ourselves with stories of mayhem and hi-jinx that took place in our younger years! The first night we attended a dinner at the Timbermine in Ogden, where we had pix taken and a program featuring the "most famous person in the World", who just happened to be in our class --- Santa Claus! He then introduced groups of 4 people on stage and read 4 things each of them had done in the 40 years since we had graduated, while we tried to guess which one he was talking about. Saturday, they had a golf tournament, a car show, a BBQ, and another program that featured a band -- the Barracuda's -- that included guys from the 1966 class. Danced to music from our era until the lights (which are on a timer) started to go off! By the time we finally got everything down and out of the building, it was pitch black! Sunday they had a Reflections program, where we honored the classmates who had Military service. A lot of them got up and thanked us, saying that it was the first and ONLY honor they ever received for being in the Military during the Viet Nam conflict. Can you imagine? No heroes parade -- no one saying 'thanks' to them for all they went through -- 50,000 of them died! We also had a fellow classmate, who is researching Alzheimer's, give a slide presentation and tell us that in the near future there will be a vaccination for this terrible disease. Trust a "baby boomer" to find a solution to losing our minds! All the events were very well thought out and planned, and there has already been many responses to the success of it. It was a real fun experience! After 40 years, everyone finally seems to be comfortable in their own skin, and really don't care who has achieved riches in their lives, who drives the most expensive car, who looks the best, etc. It was more about empathizing with those of us who have had some very tragic things happen and wondering who will be returning for the next reunion. I’m including a link to a website where you can view my story and see picture that they are including from the reunion. I'm including a link to a website that was set up for the purpose of informing us of the events and having classmates add their stories. http://www.dhs67.com/

4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Sioux that sounds absolutely perfect. I am glad all of your hard work and planning was such a big success!

Anonymous said...

that is one picture i have not seen before

Anonymous said...

Sioux, you have always been stunningly beautiful...I kid you not. Always sooo proud of my Auntie!!!

FRYBABY said...

My 30th year reunion is in 2 weeks but I don't want to spend $80 per person to go! I did go to my 20th reunion and it was a blast as I am sure this one will be too but, oh well............ maybe I will go to my 40th!! I will have something to look forward to!